Monday, May 2, 2011

My House in CyberSpace

Without the fence, driveway, garage, or other orientation to my house, I think it is more obvious the entryway is nondescript. It's been bothering me a little... am I channeling it as a personal character flaw? "The property has potential, and the inside is nice, but it might be hard to approach."

The other design problem my house has never addressed is the fact it is on a double corner lot. The majority of the yard is on the side, by the master suite, which can also be seen from the front of the house. How does one fence such a yard?
As a house with an unusual lot, you would think it already had enough trouble. But two different add-ons complicate the matter. The rear addition makes no pretense to blend with the body of the original house. It is a boring box with a boring, but functional roof. The front addition is another story; while a beautiful room, it clearly was added without regard to location (snowy climate; north side of house), nor its ability to blend (how do you add a flat-roofed room to a bungalow?). Mostly, I ignore this problem, but there is a weird extra gable that should probably be removed.

The roof needs to be replaced soon. When I do, I think I will address the leftover gable from the original porch. It sticks out awkwardly and causes extra water and ice build-up.
The selling feature of this house is, unsurprisingly, the most finished and welcoming angle. But the master suite and its deck are equally schizophrenic, with white country siding, a Spanish stucco (with tile ornamentation) chimney, and brick (not mentioning the inside, with sleek modern lines in contrast with minty green and pink bathroom). Eclectic seems to have had an extended Spring Break Bender, and is now having a hell-of-a hangover. I have been trying to decide what will unite the facade, will solve the problem of owning a house that doesn't have a front.

No comments:

Post a Comment