Saturday, August 27, 2011

Things to do in Billings

When I moved to Indiana, I was silly-optimistic about the little dying town I lived in. Everything was brilliantly ironic and interesting and crusty with history. I don't know if I burned myself out on idealization, but when I moved to Montana, I was less interested in learning about its history.

It's time I had an attitude adjustment, and try to find all the cool things there are in Billings, things that reflect interesting history and things I like to do. I am creating a Google Map of the things I like. It is linked on the right (but since I change it when traveling, the archival link is here).

I told another faculty person I was having trouble meeting people, and she asked me what I like to do? It felt like I was trying to fill out a dating profile on the spot... long walks on the beach? At sunset? While whales are jumping out of the water? No good. So here are the things I like to do.
  • Looking at art. Alas, I haven't liked most of the venues in town, but I am trying to remain optimistic.
  • Hiking in nature (usually trails, which means pretty easy hiking)
  • Biking (again, I have mostly been on the road and gone a max of 2 miles in a row)
  • Thrift shopping/Antique shopping/Garage saling/Flea market shopping (though I am getting tired of owning stuff. Should I do a good fall purge?)
  • Visiting State Parks
  • Drinking coffee
  • Drinking Microbrews
  • Watching movies at home (I have been trying to like movie theaters, but I have a tailbone spur-thing that made it very clear this summer that movie theaters aren't worth it)
  • Reading (when I have time, mostly summer... but maybe a book club?)
  • Taking pictures (usually alone, but I could try it with others again)
  • Hearing live music (with few exceptions, I like any live music. If it's live, I like it. I hate paying door fees though, if I don't know I like the band.)
  • Watching performances (plays, dance, comedy; the tailbone thing is an issue, but the whole intermission thing helps)
There must be more, but that's about it.

I wish I liked working in my yard, but not really. I like working in a veggie garden slightly more. Next spring, I'm going to convert half the yard to raised beds. I'll have to rig some kind of green house over them, since the cold lasts so long.

I wish I liked cleaning the house or organizing or painting, but I don't. I think I painted myself out in California. I have a lot of painting that needs to be done... maybe if I had company? I did paint the kitchen, and it feels like fresh air now when I go in.

Anyway.

Do you have suggestions of things to do in Billings? Recommendations for new hobbies? Let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment