Friday, July 19, 2013

That one time I cheated


There are different kinds of people, as we know, but I think a definite category is "camping people" and "hotel people." And there are hotels that feel like camps and trailers that feel like hotels. Anyway, non-campers often ask how much I "cheat" and get a hotel. Other than better air conditioning and mattress, it isn't much different to me than the trailer. Space is nice, but the stress of dragging everything I need into a hotel room then remembering it all when I leave usually means I prefer the trailer. 

S had camped all through Florida with me, and with the exception of one night at a Walmart, I planned to be in campgrounds every night. One sweaty person in 100 sq feet of space is enough.  But he was due to fly out of Pensacola on Wednesday morning, and the camp I'd picked, an hour away, ended up being full. Realistically, the hour drive worries me too. Our last night together and I didn't want it to be hot and sticky and in a Walmart. He loves a daily shower and prefers a shared one (impossible in campgrounds), so a $70 splurge for a hotel made sense. We watched Adult Swim and downloaded lots of books over WiFi and slept on a real mattress, my first in 43 days. 

And that's the story of the one night I cheated. 

2 comments:

  1. I thought you were going to say something about the way you parked.
    I have enjoyed following you on your travels. Maybe someday I will be able to take off and see the United States in my 1969 Avion.
    Safe Travels.
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  2. She can't be blamed for this parking job; I like plenty of room around Alice when I am lucky enough to be given the driving duties. ;)

    ReplyDelete