Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Wherein I get my students excited about dead things

Last semester, my photo class read an article about taxidermy and how, as scientific specimens, it is going "out of style" for study, because of the prevalence of photography. I also found a great blog, http://www.ravishingbeasts.com/, which has interesting articles about the ebb and flow of the uses and value placed on taxidermied animals as objects.

So I got it in my head we should do a class project using the preserved specimens in the science building. They have a remarkable collection of animals in their vertebrate program, apparently donated by Bozeman many decades ago (because they didn't want them).

After many mutterings from the class last year about how they hated their sciences classes, I was terrified to try this, to show them something I think is so fascinating and will require so much coordination; what if they hated it? What if they half-assed it?

Today, after looking at lots of slides of 17th century medical drawings and models, and 19th century taxidermic displays, and 20-21st century artist interpretations, we went over to the science department, where the vertebrate biologist gave us a tour. It was apparently a muched-talked-about affair, this invasion of artists. The microbiologist interrupted our tour to affirm, "single cell organisms are also life, and would make beautiful pictures", then she showed us where the special microscope was and said we could use it. Someone else pointed out the green house too. Apparently, a heated discussion erupted during a committee meeting between the biologist and the animal-rights philosopher ("are they exploiting those animals who were already murdered for their bodies? You wouldn't do that to human remains!"). To which I said, "Class, name some artists who use human remains," then "should we invite the philosopher to class for a discussion? Can you defend yourselves?" They said yes.

As we left, they were excited. "I have so many ideas," kept popping out of their mouths. Write those things down before you forget! Now, I just need to find the exhibition venue...

Perhaps this image is exploitative. If anything, I think of the decay of these mounts as indicative of why this method of scientific examination is flawed, why I'm glad photography has replaced them. I also think such exhibits should be preserved, so the little animals get the most use out of their sacrifices.
I'll put some pictures up later. This one I took a few weeks ago when pitching the idea to the class.

No comments:

Post a Comment