Saturday, February 4, 2012

Humpty Dumpty

Today was a big flea market. Been doing a lot of second hand shopping lately. It's OK though. I've also been applying to shows (even got in two! more on that when it's official).

Anyway, Billings has a surprising selection of wonderful kitsch, which has lead me to ponder it on a deeper level. Many of these things were made in the USA or Japan. I am not sure about the unmarked ones... USA? I will have to do some research on that. Every now and then, one will be German or Bavarian. But mostly USA and Japan. The vintage kitsch from China is very unusual.

So I think there is something about this kitsch. It was definitely unneeded stuff, and a lot of imports, and it was low-brow and tacky, but it makes me smile. How can you not love this Humpty Dumpty? And he has had many a-fall, but some really bad glue made him all better, and broken noses add character.

So, the flea market was great! Lots of good hand-printed or embroidered linens (which is something I've been particularly attracted to lately), ceramics, and stuff for Rendezvous... wooden shoes, Holly Hobby bonnet, and a mug I might go back for tomorrow.

Anyway, I will try to post pictures tomorrow. Very excited by all the pretty things!

No comments:

Post a Comment