Monday, February 6, 2012

House interrupted.






I still am so amazed by the loveliness of this unmarked vase. It's been on the mantle. Moving it to the dining table so the cats can break it so I can enjoy it more.







Paint-by-numbers... Greenberg was so wrong about the importance of kitsch for the public and their appreciation of art. And the popularity of Pollack and Picasso now have essentially made them kitsch. Bet he hates that.




I bought a series of painted portraits, probably from an art student from 30 years ago. These were from the Goodwill outlet in Indianapolis... you buy crap by the pound there.


The local craft shop has new "vintage" towels you can buy to embroider (just like the good ol' days!), separated by decade. This striped one was labeled the 1940s. It came in a pack of 3 for $6 and is made in the USA. Cheaper than "new" towels, but still new. This one is next to an unfinished embroidered towel from 1975. I love those flowers with the green printing.
 
I've bought several crocheted blankets and quilts at second hand shops the last few weeks. It's strange to me that they are in such good condition and are so interesting... but so cheap and unwanted. I like this blanket on the back of my 1920s sofa. Maybe I should put it on the seat instead, since the back has the most craftsmanship. I also have lots of pillows from Cost Plus (all made in India... China ones need not apply), which I think makes it homey. And I had buyer's remorse when I bought that flamingo, as he is chipped and worn, but isn't he a wonderful addition to the room?



The cats don't seem to understand the table-boundaries... doesn't matter if I put freshly washed table clothes on the tables. They sit on them anyway.





This is a piece I bought last year in Indy... I think for a dollar. Next to a fox skull also from Indiana.









Dharma seems to be feeling better today.

My music corner with record player (unfortunately, China... all the second hand ones had mechanical problems I was too intimidated to try to fix). Notice my Nancy Sinatra album (which is AMAZING), my 1940s hand-painted photo-on-canvas, my print of a cowboy saving a fawn from barbed wire and wolves, and the embroidery of a horse done by a grandma (says so on the back).




You'd never know it was winter for all the sunshine and warmish days.

I love my colonial lesbian teapot. Other than a chip on the spout and missing it's lid, it's in great shape. It's for plants now... though my poinsettia has seen better days (see Thanksgiving)... Will have to find something with flowers for these ladies as the weather warms up. (This is from the Porcelier company, made in the USA.) In the background is the teacup wall pocket from my grandma's house.

No comments:

Post a Comment