Monday, February 6, 2012

So many pretty things

Just a few of the wonderful things I've picked up the last few weeks.

This green bowl came from an estate sale for $4. It is a lovely lime and yellow with a gold rim. The bottom says "Germany 439".

I found this cute paint-by-numbers-on-velvet parrot painting for $1, and upgraded its cheap metal from to this one for another dollar. When I took the frame apart...

(the cat is a lithograph I bought at an alumni art auction)
I found two more velvet paintings! Three for a dollar! I also picked up this china soup pot with the fruit pattern... I have the matching tea cups, saucers, jelly jar and some other pieces I bought from Granny's Attic when they were closing, all for $2. The soup pot was relatively expensive at $6. (The pattern is "Fruit Arbor" by Nasco.)
I love secret societies, especially if they make fine china candy bowls and hand-made doilies. The larger embroidered piece was from an auction in Indiana. It was in a box-full of homemade lace and doilies I bought for a dollar.
This beautiful and abused parrot is on of the art stars this week. He is gorgeous and chipped in all the most characteristic ways. He is very dirty too, but I think it adds charm. (The bottom has a sticker that is mostly worn off... Shafford, Japan. Then imprinted in the porcelain "Bird Collection by )S(, Cockatoo 135". He's about 10" tall and I can find nothing like him online. Yay!)

Background is a flamingo and an art sculpture given to me by Doug Calisch.





This advertisement for a trucking company (see the tiny truck in the background?) was a steal at $3 from this weekend's flea market. It is beautiful. Someone wrote "1942" on the back, but I don't know if that's accurate.

In the foreground... a funny style of ViewMaster that is much easier to use, on a woven table runner with 8-bit style flowers.





An adorable, ancient woman had a booth at the flea market ("this is stuff I had in my garage"). Along with several beautiful towels (again, obsessed with embroidered and printed mid-century linens...), and way too many hankies to justify, I got these three nesting bowls with gold starburst patterns. They are Hall china and very heavy.

All in all... I have a lot of stuff. But it's beautiful and fun to showcase in my house. I haven't decided where to hang the truck ad yet. Thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment