Friday, May 14, 2010

Refinishing/ed Cabinets

I'm mid-way through refinishing my cabinets. The rest are in limbo while I decide which direction to take the decor. The nice thing about interior remodeling/decorating with a trailer is as much as every surface you touch leads to the next surface needing attention, there is a finite amount of surfaces for you to deal with. Did that make sense? Let me elaborate. If you refinish *this* cabinet door, you will need to refinish all of them. If you do the doors, you must door the cabinet frames. If you do the frames, you mush replace the sections with water damage. If you replace those sections, you may as well take out the fridge and do the flooring under the fridge. Etc. But it's only 14' long by 6' feet wide. How much trouble could it be?


I refinished the cabinets with the least amount of associated drama. They are beautiful (images to come later. Above and below are the details of the original finish and the naked, sanded wood. You can see how the old finish had yellowed and become flaky and gross... much like my ex-boyfriend? The 'original' look of the original finish is revealed under the hardware).


The areas I was concerned about and avoided refinishing, I'm waiting on. The bathroom cabinets, for example, may be painted instead of shellacked. They connect directly to the shower stall, a strange decision that has decades of water damage to show for it (all things considered, this is the least damaged area of the woods that have water damage). The framing around the appliances are also in limbo (I couldn't figure out how to sand in the narrow spaces... the areas I hand-sanded are a bit of a disaster). The wardrobe revealed its door was somehow welded into place, and now seems like a glossy white would do it nicely. Then there is the mater of painting the walls... see, everything connected.


I did take her out to the State Park this week. In the process of flushing the winterizing coolant from the tanks, the pipe connecting to the sink faucet broke loose. Now, I face deconstructing the cabinets to get at the plumbing... and while I'm there, is a new faucet and counter-top in order? Maybe a re-glazing of the sink?

No comments:

Post a Comment