Sunday, April 24, 2011

The joy of the Garage Sale "Free" box

I went to the most fabulous garage sale and found a 1960s cabinet and desk for my basement workspaces. The previous owner had passed, and his projects and built-ins were being sold off (somewhat callously, I thought; "He kept every piece of junk!"). The owner had built shelves, cabinets, and closets everywhere, and it was a new home-owners gold mine. I inquired about the desk, marked $125, and she said, "How about $40?" It was an antique with brass covers on its feet, and had been painted mauve (with no primer, so I suspect I could remove it someday, if I want).

There was a box marked free, and inside were plywood, home made game tables of some kind. Similar to Chinese checkers, but I didn't recognize it. Anyway, the plywood turned out to be homemade too, and had split in the snowy rain. The sheets were old signs for Open Houses. The graphics were so cool, I snagged them. I also scored some damaged 1980s fashion photographs. The colors are INSANE. I'll get a pit up someday.

No comments:

Post a Comment