Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Misspellings and subliminal messages

I am a notoriously bad speller. The computer/smart phone has made me worse, as they tend to automatically correct my mistakes before I even see them. As a result, many synapses in my brain have stopped working all together. My students are kind to me when I write on the board and spell something wrong (dumb mistakes too... spoll instead of spool). I shrug and say, well, I'm an artist not a grammarian. (I do get mad, though, when they can't figure out how to mix two liquids of different temperatures to make the developer come to 68 degrees. I suppose I should cut them some slack, but I think basic math and logic skills are immensely more important than spelling skills.)

Sometimes I am typing, and the little, angry red line appears under my word. I can tell it is wrong, but can't see where (probably could if I deleted and started over). So I right-click and pick the correct word.

The other day, I was spelling "opportunity" and probably switched the "u" and "t", one of my common mistakes I can't see when I am proof-reading. The little red line appeared; I right-clicked; it was fixed.

But for some reason, the right-click has kept those words active. "Opportunity" and "opportunist" appear every time I right-click to fix a word, to go back a page in a website, to copy-paste. Every time, the computer whispers to me, "opportunity opportunist."

At first I resented it. I associate "opportunist" with a negative connotation, someone who takes advantage of a situation, probably at the expense of others. But as the third day of this bug has worn on, I'm starting to think maybe it doesn't have to mean that. Maybe it just means someone who seizes their opportunities and no one gets hurt. Maybe, even, everyone wins!

No comments:

Post a Comment