Sunday, September 4, 2011

What better way to spend a Sunday

The weekends in Billings are the most annoying to me. As much as I wish all work-week for a weekend (to relax, to catch up, to work on my own projects), they are filled with unstructured time that seems to both stretch and fly. In those weekends, I am reminded there are no good art venues to visit, that the restaurants are overpriced for the mean income, that no shop carries a U.S. made product, that the landscape is filled with either ticks, snow, or bears. So this weekend, I signed up to help move freshmen into the dorms. They even enticed me with "a free t-shirt!" now, I am wearing a bright yellow shirt with three inch black lettering on the front that says, "ASK ME FOR HELP". I looked at the man who gave me the shirt and I said, "the free shirt is one I could never wear again." He said, "we want to make sure they know who to ask for help." I couldn't help wondering if the incoming students were exceptionally dumb, that if I was simply wearing a bright yellow shirt that said MSUB Housing or something, they wouldn't think they could ask me for help.

I do wonder what would happen if you wore such a shirt in public. Maybe it would bring comfort to someone who had given up on strangers being kind. I think that is an epidemic here.

No comments:

Post a Comment