Sunday, April 8, 2012

Vintage kitchens and "at least I'm cleaner than that"





As I was just writing, I have been coveting a vintage kitchen. I spent yesterday in the town of Pryor, a town on the edge of the Crow Reservation, for one of my Prison images. There was a slew of abandoned houses along the dirt road I spent four hours on. And of course, I had to go inside. One had an "intact" 1940s kitchen. I couldn't believe all the pieces were still there, from the round-top fridge, to the beautiful enamel oven.






And of course, the steel cabinets with the enameled tops.

The problem? Had hooligans come and started a meth lab in it? Not that I could tell. Was there vandalism? Not the kind you would think. Yes, the wiring had been removed from the walls, but the thing that was really shocking...


Was the cow shit. That's right, the main vandals of these houses that were bringing it back to the earth were cows.

And they were working overtime.

And they hated people. Maybe even these people in particular.







Because, yes, above, you can see the manure is piled up more than 6 inches in some places. And I think the destruction to the cabinets and appliances was from them too.







I mean these cows really hate people. This clever one opened the oven and crapped inside it!






This one took its mighty dump on what was left of the sofa.







I hope it's needless to say, I did not try to salvage those kitchen cabinets.

No comments:

Post a Comment