Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Central New Jersey storm

Crazy and exciting storm rolled in as soon as I made camp and began my walk. It was hot and I had just waded into the pond to see the dark angry clouds and hear the distant rumble. Grudgingly, I went back to camp (with camera and phone and no umbrella) and went inside as the storm hit. Had to lay out my leak towels to absorb the water and was thing, "gosh this storm is so furious; I should record it!" When there was a flash at the window and a crack, and my lights went out. 


As quickly as it came, it left, and I decided to take my first shower in four days to wait out the last rain before messing with the electricity. On the way to the shower house, I saw a tree, large and healthy, downed across the road entering the camp. Already, a team of men and chainsaws were dissecting it and pulling it off the road. I reconsidered the strike point of the lightning, that it was farther off, and maybe my power loss was a coincidence. Sure enough, after switching the plug and tripping the breaker a few times, it was going again. Whew. 

No comments:

Post a Comment