Monday, June 24, 2013

New York City - part 2

I love NYC, but let's be honest: it's not a camping city. And I love the public transportation, especially the subways. Gorgeous and air conditioned (she says, after walking 3 miles the first day and arriving at the museum a sweaty, smelly pool). 


But there aren't many places an Alice can park. And some roads are downright illegal to take a trailer (with propane tanks). Like, I would be arrested. And several highways forced me off before my destination, happily declaring a height limit of 9 feet. I believe Alice is 9'4". Give or take. So I parked in New Jersey at a Walmart that has resigned itself to having  people park there for days and take buses to the city. That means any NYC adventure is a minimum $8 excursion (more if you don't want the 3 mile sweaty hike I mentioned), and an hour each way. Minimum. 

And I like to take naps between events. No naps for you (in NYC)! So it's been a tiring visit to the city, even though I love this city. 


Today I went to Dead Horse Bay to collect bottles and broken china. An additional $10 to get to south Brooklyn and said Bay. It's a beach on the ruins of a horse processing plant, across from a mid-20th century landfill, the contents of which wash onto this beach. Before long, I had 4 grocery bags of... Well... Garbage. Some of the bottles are whole, and once all the seaweed is boiled off, might be nice. Thunder started sounding, and I dreaded the bus-train-train-bus two hour journey back with that heavy booty. I sorted some. This or that could go back. A man cane by saying he was looking for liquor bottles, so I gave him the nice-ish one I had. There. I'm going to weigh it back at the trailer, but I still guess 50 lbs. and go figure I would get off the train a mile too soon, with 6pm Times Square between me and my last bus. No wonder I had to stop for a beer and veggie burger and this post!




No comments:

Post a Comment