Thursday, July 22, 2010

Empty apartment, full truck

Yes, the last boxes are as interesting as I predicted. The remote for my alarm clock, the belt for my robe, 6 lenses for a camera (already packed), an enamel bucket, a microwave, snow boots (might just get rid of those for more hip ones this winter), my rain coat, my final painting from Painting 101, a cat bed. I've not packed anything from the bathroom yet, four plastic tubs of medicine (already threw out the expired), hair products, cleaning products, etc. I could throw it all out, but I'm starting to feel embarrassed by the rising pile if garbage bags outside the door. A pile almost as large has grown for Goodwill donation (including my Crockpot from grandma--yes, from California--, my toaster oven, my coffee grinder, my small George Foreman grill). All these things I was sure I would use, but haven't.

I feel inclined to require myself to throw dinner parties at least once a month, just to use them all. A few weeks ago, I found these glass cups and matching plates (with little nooks to secure the cup). Since I was at a party just the week before, annoyed that I could not eat my appetizers with my drink-in-hand, this seemed like the most brilliant invention I'd ever seen. And the sale I found these treasures had 15 matching sets (and many extra cups) for a whopping $4. I bought them. I've since seen them everywhere, some patterns more contemporary than the set I've got, but with prices ranging from $4-$15 for a set of four. Deal! They aren't taking up *that* much room in the truck.

But they are another reminder that I should throw dinner parties. I always thought that was something you did in a couple, that it would take two to put such an event together. But when I did love with others, we didn't do it. In college, when I lived with girl friends, we had spontaneous dinner/get-togethers all the time. Is there some reason I decided this was childish and stopped? Or is it the nature of couples to dine with each other more? My good friends in San Fransisco lived nearby this year, and invited me over often. It was very fun, even playing silly board games and working in puzzles.

So let the pile if trash be a lesson to not keep things I don't need and try not to buy things with so much packaging. Let my Goodwill pile be a lesson that appliances don't make parties, and let those boxes of party trays in my truck be a resolution to invite people over in my new home. (Plus, it's way too expensive of a house to not share!)

Sent from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment