Sunday, July 25, 2010

Illinois is a time warp

I'm always surprised crossing the time zone in Illinois. No matter how late I leave, I'm always more on-schedule in Illinois. If only I could bottle that feeling for more useful events.

My friend, S, and I left later than usual, confounded by moving the last of the boxes yesterday, packing the trailer, and cleaning the apartment after a poor four hours of sleep (due to a wonderful send-off by C'ville friends and an early morning walking tour if town). S worked the night shift, then we were going to jump on the road and cruise through Illinois as fast as possible. Alas, leaving Indianapolis by 1 was not the plan, then stopping at an antique shop (which turned into a two hour delay) meant Saturday only passed 305 miles of the 1400+ journey. We'll do high 300s tomorrow, then cruise into parklands in South Dakota for the leisurely section of our one-week journey.

My cats are strangely calm this trip, as though this was the logical step to all the furniture disappearing from their space. Unfortunately, I'm having doubts about how my house-negotiations are going, and am seriously considering backing out. It's tragic to me, with the only upside being I can fire the nightmare of a realtor who has bungled every step of the process. The latest trouble includes the selling company throwing a tiny amount of money for "closing costs" in exchange for not addressing what looks like $20K worth of issues. Maybe it's worth it; maybe we negotiated far enough below market value, but as I don't believe in market value, I'm not convinced. Starting over seems a drag. Putting my stuff in storage seems worse.

Sent from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment