Monday, August 9, 2010

Work in Progress

I am in a coffee shop, researching my Internet options. I hate paying so much for the net, when it is free a few blocks away! But I can't surf the web with my kitties or in my skivvies this way.

My parents just left after helping me unload what S and I couldn't finish. We unpacked the kitchen, moved what little furniture I have, bought and delivered my new king-sized (!!) bed, and set up my desk and bookshelves. There are areas that are still a disaster, but others that look serviceable. With so much excitement from the move and everything, I suddenly feel very vegetative and am not sure how much time those last boxes are going to take me. I can see this being the last move, which has spiraled me into a ball of terror... this is it?!

House progress:
Chandelier, before and after.

There is now jewelry on the chandelier. Very pretty... maybe over fancy, but I bought those crystals ten years...about time they saw the light of day. I had these curtains to cover the windows in one of my rentals, but don't have enough panels to leave them in the dining room, even though I like the color int here a lot!
My 1920s sofa looks great in the orange living room. Yes, I am starting to like the orange ugly light, but I need some more white lights in there. The whole room glows like an oven at night. I am thinking of making these walls a sea glass blue-green, with a very light blue ceiling. (the chip is on the mantel, but I don't think you can see it).
Kitchen doesn't look much different. Will have to get some paint in there to liven it up soon.
The guest bathroom has soap, toilet paper, and a towel in it so far. I did have extra birds for the shelves though!
So you know not all is perfect, this is what my sunroom looks like right now. The cats, you can see, are enjoying the chairs and their placement relative to cat-t.v. (windows). Believe it or not, it looked worse.

I chose a wild color for the office. It's actually the color I want, believe it or not, but the painters chose to also color the ceiling (as you can see below), so it is too cave-like right now. I need to move in more than I need to paint a ceiling, but that will happen soon.

For now, the guest room is a library. I haven't found all my book boxes (actually, this is true of all my rooms... where are they?), so the shelves are still a little spacious. I had to add another bulb to the light fixture, because again, the dark ceiling has made the room too dark.

There is a lot to do. It makes me tired when I see things like missing screws, poorly patched drywall, or cheap curtain rods. The list is extensive, but it's a beautiful house. There is a rabbit that lives in the yard (and a hornet's nest... what do I do with that?). There have been mid-afternoon thunderstorms every day, just for an hour or two.

Links to before pictures:
First inspection
Exterior and yard
Kitchen
Master Suite - you'll see I picked a lighter color than this... More pictures later.

1 comment:

  1. Looking great after only a few days! Love that the dead-chandelier parts are getting their day in the sun.

    ReplyDelete